Waywards are one of the "lost" Hunter creeds who follow the virtue of Vision. Waywards are united by a common belief: the supernatural should be destroyed utterly, no matter the cost. Being children of Vision, they are given to planning and deliberation in reaching their goals, but those goals will always be focused on death and destruction, and a typical Wayward will think little of inflicting massive mortal casualties if they can successfully destroy a vampire or warlock. All Waywards are deranged; some, however, are able to hide it, masquerading as Avengers.
A Wayward has a component of their second sight perpetually "switched on" - the component that allows them to detect the presence of monsters - and can never turn it off; the protective effects of second sight must be activated by the Wayward in the same fashion as other imbued. As a result, they can never possess Edges that would allow them to distinguish anything about a monster, such as Discern, Witness, or Illuminate.
Waywards are perhaps unique among the creeds in that they need not have manifested any of the common Wayward personality traits prior to their imbuing, such as deep-seated aggression, hatred, or trauma - it is entirely possible for a comparatively well-adjusted person to find themselves turned into a psychotic murderer, their minds rewritten by the violent impulses imposed by the Wayward imbuing.
The Wayward special ability is the creation of signs of power - symbols comprehensible to Waywards of sufficient Vision, but incomprehensible to any other imbued. By marking their bodies with these symbols, Waywards can draw strength from them, boosting their capabilities.
It's worth noting that in standard hunter code, the Wayward symbol represents "chief", "warlord", or "general", perhaps hinting at the creed's original purpose.
- Impart: The Wayward is able to "open the eyes" of hunters near them, activating their second sight without spending any Conviction.
- Forewarn: As a Wayward is immersed deeper into the hunt, they become more sensitive to threats. Their senses alert them just before a hazard emerges, a "danger sense" with an unique warning to the hunter.
- Enrage: This edge instils a berserk bloodlust in other hunters, forcing even pacifists to do gory battle with whatever raises the Wayward's ire, gaining additional dice in their attack rolls.
- Reap: With this edge, a Wayward can look into the eyes of the dead and gain information from the departed by asking a question aloud that will be answered truthfully in their mind. This edge also applies to undead beings such as vampires or ghosts.
- Spiral : A Wayward with this edge is able to harness and command the power of the wind, creating miniature hurricanes or localized tornados, affecting anyone in its path be it human, hunter or supernatural.
^ Level 1
^ Level 2
^ Level 3
^ Level 4
^ Level 5