- 1 Summary
- 1.1 Intro fiction
- 1.2 Introduction
- 1.3 Book One: The Flesh
- 1.4 Book Two: The Spirit
- 1.5 Book Three: The Machine
- 2 Background Information
- 3 Characters
- 4 References
From the White Wolf catalog:
- Magick is not dead,
- Open your eyes and see with mystick sight.
- A War rages,
- A Reckoning is at hand.
- On one side stand the Others,
- Who would twist our world with their mad designs;
- On the other hand, the snare of Pride,
- And Power's lure,
- Await an inner Fall.
- Is our Path too narrow?
- You decide.
- Come forth,
- A journey beckons.
- Open your eyes,
- And Awaken.
A full-colour, untitled section at the very beginning of the book which tells two stories in parallel:
- in September 1995, the young mage Amanda is facing hardship as an Apprentice of the Euthanatos mage Senex in the Horizon Realm of Mus;
- the best part of a century earlier, a woman named Mercedes is shown how far she has fallen.
An introduction to the world of Mage, including sections on "Concepts of the Game", a summary of the book's contents, and a lexicon of terms.
Book One: The Flesh
Fiction intro featuring "The Fallen One": Monique, a Nephandus, researches an ancient tome of unspeakable knowledge.
Chapter One: The Tellurian
Chapter Two: The Mystick Path
Chapter Three: Mage Society
Chapter Four: The Ways of Magick
Book Two: The Spirit
Fiction intro featuring "The Mad One": the ramblings of a Marauder who is now free.
Chapter Five: Basic Rules
The basics of the Storyteller System.
Chapter Six: Character Creation
Chapter Seven: Storytelling
A guide to running a chronicle
Book Three: The Machine
Chapter Eight: Magick Rules
Full rules for creating magickal effects, and for what happens when they go wrong. Includes full descriptions of the nine Spheres and the effects possible with each.
Chapter Nine: Setting Rules
Systems specific to the mystickal side of mages: ideas for the Awakening, rules for increases Sphere mastery and Arete, how to journey toward Ascension, and the other denizens of the World of Darkness who may get in your way. Includes rules for Spirits and an overview of the Umbra and the Digital Web, plus rules for various objects with magical power, including Talismans and Fetishes.
Chapter Ten: Drama
More advanced Storytelling System rules. Includes an illustrated example of play.
Rules and traits for Antagonists, some example Talismans, details of some important locations, a section titled "Afterwards" by Stephan Wieck and Phil Brucato on the path to Second Edition, and the Index.
The Second Edition substantially changed on the magic rules and the setting of Mage, and was generally considered a great improvement.
- Widderslainte on the road to redemption, and apprentice of Senex
- Also known, ironically, as "Mercy" - Amanda's previous life
- An old, powerful and revered Euthanatos; the "Old Man" of Mus
- The Nephandus who successfully corrupted Mercedes
Technocracy: New World Order
Mage: The Ascension books