From the White Wolf catalog:
- The closing of a millennium is at hand. We have been crushed in a vice. Trapped between rigid law and black chaos. All we have wrought with magick is forgotten.
- The Technocracy, Rational, Resolute, Ruthless. It rules the crystalline earth and suffocates us in webs of steel.
- The Marauders, Unknowable, Unpredictable, Unholy. They rule the outcast realms and drown us in ceaseless discord.
- The Nephandi, Damned, Diabolic, Destructive. They rule the nethermost voids and constrict us within the Wyrm's coils.
- We have failed to heal the growing paradox. Our timid tinkering has won us little ground. But perhaps you will not ear to strike firmly to wield the full force of your fury. Perhaps you will battle them as we could not... perhaps the time has come.
Prologue: The Awakening
Tells the story of a potential Mage Raphael who is introduced to the world of Mage by Madame Wo.
Chapter One: Introduction
On the concepts and ideas behind the Storyteller System, an overview of what Mage is, including summaries of the beliefs of mages and the factions and enemies. There is also a Lexicon of Mage terms.
Chapter Two: Setting
A discussion of Gothic-Punk and the role it plays in Mage, details on the origins of mages, the Ascension War, the Technocracy, Marauders, Nephandi, and the Traditions, and about Magick and Spheres, and the roles other supernaturals and realms (such as the Tellurian and the Umbra).
Chapter Three: Storytelling
How to be a storyteller for Mage is detailed in this chapter, including creating chronicles, storylines, and conflict, using classic storytelling techniques such as flashback and parallel stories and how to prepare players and storytellers for a chronicle.
Chapter Four: Rules
The classic rules of gameplay, including the passage of time in Mage, dice rolling, actions, character ratings, difficulties, botches, and other assorted info, and a list of terms used in game.
Chapter Five: Character
How to create a mage for fun and profit, including sample character creation and questions to ask about your character as you go along.
Chapter Six: Traits
Chapter Seven: Magick
Chapter Eight: Systems
Information on character development and experience points, Quintessence, Ascension, moving between realms, and the problem with Paradox. It then goes into information on the health system of Mage.
Chapter Nine: Drama
Types of actions a character might typically (or not so typically) take, how to perform combat, and an example of play.
Details on the various antagonists a mage might encounter, including other supernaturals, the government, the Inquisition, the Arcanum, Technomancers, Marauders and mythical beasts, the Nephandi, and Paradox spirits. There is also information on Talismans, as well as "All Hollow's Eve", the first chapter from the Loom of Fate.
Mage: The Ascension books