Amalgams are unique vampiric powers that draw on the knowledge and abilities of multiple Disciplines. They were introduced in V5 and they are similar in mechanics to combination disciplines from previous editions as well as devotions from Vampire: the Requiem.
Amalgams are discipline powers that require a specific level of proficiency in an additional discipline in order to be learned. They are often used to create specific powers mainly associated to one clan or cult, and in some cases they entirely replace disciplines from previous editions that were discontinued in V5.
Classic Amalgam Disciplines
Using the mechanics of Amalgam Powers, a number of distinct Disciplines from the previous versions of Vampire: The Masquerade have been merged into Fifth Edition's base disciplines as part of the process to streamline how the game functions.
- Chimerstry is now a Level 2 Amalgam ability of Obfuscate with Presence 1, and the ability Fata Morgana a Level 3 Amalgam with Presence 2.
- Dementation becomes a Level 2 ability of Dominate as an Amalgam with Obfuscate 2.
- Obeah is merged into Auspex as a Level 2 Amalgam Power with Fortitude 1, and the ability Unburdening the Bestial Soul as a Level 5 Amalgam with Dominate 3.
- Serpentis' transformation powers are fully subsumed by Protean, but the ability Eyes of the Serpent is a Level 1 Amalgam of Protean 1 with Presence 1 and the ability Heart of Darkness is a level 5 Amalgam with Fortitude 2.
- Valeren is now a Level 2 ability of Fortitude as an Amalgam with Auspex 1.
- Vicissitude and the abilities Fleshcrafting and Horrid Form return as part of the Protean discipline as Level 2, 3, and 4 Amalgams with Dominate 2, respectively. One with the Land (aka Meld with the Land) becomes a Level 5 Amalgam with Animalism 2, but requires Earth Meld.
List of Amalgams
- Unliving Hive: The vampire can become a permanent home for swarms of flies or cockroaches or similar small creatures. Amalgam Obfuscate 2.
- Obeah: Soothes the psychological turmoil of the vampire's subject. Amalgam: Fortitude 1.
- Unerring Pursuit: Locking eyes with a subject, the vampire coaxes forth a supernatural bond between themselves and the victim. For a number of nights, the user is able to view glimpses of the target and their environment whenever the target sees themselves on a reflective surface. Amalgam: Dominate 1.
- Possession: The vampire can take over the body of a mortal. Amalgam Dominate 3.
- Unburdening the Bestial Soul: Shares the vampire's own sense of moral peace of mind with another Kindred willing to repent of their sins. Amalgam Dominate 3. Requires Obeah
- Unerring Aim: The vampire can prevent their target from dodging or defending against the vampire's ranged attacks. Amalgam Auspex 2.
- Dementation: The vampire can trigger psychotic breaks or nervous breakdowns. Amalgam Obfuscate 2.
- Slavish Devotion: The vampire can strengthen the mind of their dominated victims, against interference from other Kindred. Amalgam Presence 1.
- Ancestral Dominion: The vampire can make their Kindred descendants to take actions on their behalf, without the need for eye contact and verbal communication. Amalgam: Blood Sorcery 3.
- Enduring Beasts: The vampire can extend their Fortitude powers to animals under the effect of their Animalism. Amalgam Animalism 1.
- Obdurate: By shoring up their physical hardiness with vampiric Potence, the Kindred may maintain a steady footing when struck by a massive force. Amalgam Potence 2
- Valeren: Projects Fortitude outwardly, willing the vampire's Blood to mend another vampire's injuries. Amalgam Auspex 1.
- Chimerstry: The vampire can create brief, but vivid single-sensory hallucinations. Amalgam Presence 1
- Ventriloquism: The vampire can throw their voice so only the intended recipient hears them. Amalgam: Auspex 2.
- Mask of Isolation: Subtle but effective, this power forces the effect of Mask of a Thousand Faces on an unwitting subject. The victim will no longer be seen for who they are, even by those closest to them. Amalgam: Dominate 1. Prerequisite: Mask of a Thousand Faces.
- Fata Morgana: The vampire can craft elaborate multisensory hallucinations. Amalgam: Presence 2.
- Mental Maze: The Vampire can make the victim unable to escape the building, leaving him feeling that the building folds back on itself. Amalgam: Dominate 1.
- Conceal: The vampire can cloak an inanimate object up to a small building from sight. Amalgam: Auspex 3.
- Arms of Ahriman: The vampire summons two-dimensional shadow tendrils which glide across surfaces and victims, alternatively engaging in mystical grapples with the victim's shadow. They attack using the vampire's Wits and Oblivion, benefiting from their Potence when inflicting damage. Multiple tendrils can be created by splitting the vampire's dice pool. Amalgam Potence 2.
- Fatal Precognition: The vampire's eyes become black and they remain still while they scry a vision which shows the death of a non-Kindred they can perceive. Attempts to subvert the fate seen in the vision become more difficult. Amalgam Auspex 2.
- Passion Feast: The vampire has developed the startling ability to consume the raw emotions of wraiths to temporarily sate their hunger, eroding the ghost's reason for being with their foul gluttony. Amalgam Fortitude 2.
- Eyes of the Serpent: The vampire can freeze a mortal in place with their gaze. Amalgam Protean 1.
- True Love's Face: The vampire can take the appearance of someone their victim loves. Amalgam Obfuscate 3.
- Irresistible Voice: The vampire can now use Dominate powers with their voice alone. Amalgam Dominate 1.
- Magnum Opus: When the vampire creates a work of art (ex: painting, sculpture), they can impart on to their work a portion of their Presence, making the audience succumb to its hypnotic allure or fear its dreadful visage. Amalgam Auspex 3.
- Vicissitude: The vampire reshapes her own skin, muscles, and bone at will. Amalgam: Dominate 2.
- Fleshcrafting: Reshape the physical form of others. Amalgam: Dominate 2. Requires Vicissitude.
- Visceral Absorption: The vampire's body turns into a semi-permeable vacuum that can absorb inert blood and viscera in the environment. Amalgam: Blood Sorcery 2.
- Horrid Form: The vampires takes on a truly monstrous form. Amalgam: Dominate 2. Requires Vicissitude.
- One with the Land: While melded to the earth, the vampire takes on a preternatural awareness of people, creatures, things, and events across the domain. Amalgam Animalism 2. Requires Earth Meld.
- The Heart of Darkness: this power enables a vampire to remove their own heart and store it outside their body. For as long as it is removed, the vampire is immune to staking attempts, unless a stake is driven through the removed heart. Amalgam: Fortitude 2
|Vampire: The Masquerade Disciplines|
|Animalism · Auspex · Blood Sorcery · Celerity · Dominate · Fortitude · Obfuscate · Oblivion · Potence · Presence · Protean · Thin-Blood Alchemy|
|Amalgams||Chimerstry · Dementation · Obeah · Serpentis · Valeren · Vicissitude|
|Legacy||Abombwe · Bardo · Chimerstry · Daimonion · Deimos · Dementation · Flight · Kai · Kineticism · Maleficia · Melpominee · Mytherceria · Nihilistics · Obeah · Obtenebration · Quietus · Rift · Sanguinus · Serpentis · Spiritus · Striga · Temporis · Thanatosis · Valeren · Vicissitude · Visceratika|
|Legacy Blood Magic||Abyss Mysticism · Akhu · Thaumaturgical Countermagic · Dur-An-Ki · Mortis · Nahuallotl · Voudoun Necromancy · Western Necromancy · Ogham · Sadhana · Sihr · Thaumaturgy · Dark Thaumaturgy · Sielanic Thaumaturgy · Assamite Sorcery · Anarch Sorcery · Koldunic Sorcery · Setite Sorcery · Wanga|